Fenland: Fire Destroys Home

A fire has destroyed a home in the village of Elm in the Fenland part of Cambridgeshire.

Crews were called to a fire at Primrose Cottage on South Brink at around 1am today.

Firefighters battled to put the flames out until around 12:30pm.

One fire crew remains at the scene.

Crews have since established that the fire was an accident, and most likely to have been started by electrical equipment.

One man was inside the property, but escaped unhurt.

Ady Slack, Station Commander, said: "When firefighters arrived there was a well developed fire in a two-storey cottage. One man was safely out of the property after his smoke alarm alerted him to a fire.

Flames were coming through the roof of the conservatory and had spread to the lounge area by the time crews arrived.

The fire quickly took hold of the property and the roof and first floor have since fallen through, leaving just the shell of a house.

Sadly, this home has been completely devastated, however, the man inside made it out alive and that is thanks to his working smoke alarm. 

We would urge all families to make sure they have a correctly fitted working smoke alarm, which is regularly tested."

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Zoe Hardman

5pm - 7pm

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Zoe Hardman

On TV: 13 Reasons We Heart Halloween

5pm - 6pm

Watch heart TV

  • Kelis Trick Me



  • Chic Le Freak



  • Rockwell Somebody's Watching Me



  • Ne-Yo Beautiful Monster



Heart VIP


Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Follow Heart Cambridgeshire on Twitter