Travel Info Ahead Of EDL & TUC Marches
7 December 2010, 11:50
Peterborough City Council have decided to close a number of roads during protests planned by the English Defence League and Trades Union Council.
The English Defence League (EDL) intends to start its march at 1pm close to Peterborough United's London Road ground and proceed over Town Bridge, past Bridge Street Police Station and then congregate on Lower Bridge Street, opposite Peterborough Magistrates' Court. London Road and Town Bridge will be closed to traffic while the protest takes place.
Peterborough Trades Union Council (TUC) will start its march at 12noon at Bishop's Road car park, proceed along Rivergate and congregate at the Key Theatre car park. Rivergate, Bishop's Road and the eastbound carriageway of Bourges Boulevard, from Queensgate to Rivergate, will be closed to traffic while the protest takes place.
Several bus routes are also being diverted because of the temporary road closures and the bus stops near the Rivergate Centre and next to the former Woolworths store will be out of operation while the protests take place. Notices are being displayed this week in affected buses and bus stops to let passengers know how the route will be affected.
The entrances to Bishop's Road Lido car park, Riverside Key Theatre car park and Horse Fair Meadow Car Park near the Peterborough United ground will close from 8pm on Friday and may not open until 7am on Sunday 12 December 2010.
Temporary road closures will be in place from:
10 December 2010 at 8pm until 11 December 2010 at 5pm:
Lower Bridge Street, between its junction with Rivergate and Bourges Boulevard close to Peterborough Magistrates' Court.
11 December 2010 from 12noon to 1pm:
- Bishop's Road will be closed between the Vineyard Road and Bourges Boulevard junctions.
- St Peter's Road, at the back of the Town Hall.
- Rivergate southbound from the roundabout near the Crown Court to London Road.
- Bourges Boulevard, east bound from the Queensgate roundabout to Bishop's Road.
- Priestgate, Wentworth Street, and Car Haven car park will also be affected by these closures.
- The subway between Bridge Street and Riverside car park will be closed while the protests are taking place
11 December 2010 from 1pm to 2pm:
- Oundle Road (eastbound at its junction with London Road)
- London Road (northbound at its junction with Oundle Road)
- Cripple Sidings Lane
- East Station Road
- The subway between Pleasure Fair Meadow car park and Cripple Sidings Lane
- The subway between Bridge Street and Riverside car park.
Residents and shoppers are urged to use the FREE park and ride this weekend from the Diligenta car park at Lynch Wood and the Perkins car park in Eastern Industry into Queensgate bus station.
For full details of the park and ride service, go to www.travelchoice.org.uk.