Dynamite Taio Cruz Download 'Dynamite' on iTunes
17 December 2010, 14:13
Representatives of Cambridgeshire Police and Peterborough City Council have filmed a YouTube video, reviewing last weekend's protest marches.
The short film [below] features Superintendent Paul Fullwood, who was in charge of policing the English Defence League and Peterborough Trade Union Council marches last Saturday.
Ten arrests were made on the day.
Since then, two men have appeared in court in connection with offences committed at the protests.
The men both appeared at Peterborough Magistrate's Court and pleaded guilty to an offence under section 5 of the Public Order Act.
A 32 year old man from Stamford was fined £150 and ordered to pay £95 costs.
A 22 year old man from Farnham was fined £150 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £15 surcharge.
Superintendent Paul Fullwood said: "We made it clear we would prosecute anyone who used Saturday's protests as an opportunity to break the law.
We will always facilitate peaceful protest but we will not tolerate those who commit acts of violence or hatred under the pretence of protest."
Superintendent Fullwood said: "I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone in and around the city over the weekend.
Around 1,000 officers from 18 forces, including Cambridgeshire, took part in the policing of the two protests in Peterborough on Saturday.
While those taking part in both protests were allowed to express opinion and protest peacefully we dealt swiftly on the day with the small handful of individuals who used the protests as an opportunity to break the law.
This resulted in 10 arrests in and around the city during the operation, although it was good to see the majority of people attending the protests were there to do so peacefully.
We were clear from the start of this operation that we would not tolerate damage to the city or acts of violence, and that anyone who committed a criminal offence would be dealt with fairly but firmly.
An investigation is now underway to determine whether any further criminal offences were committed during the protests last weekend and if anyone was involved in violence, disorder or inciting hatred they may be liable to prosecution."
Gillian Beasley, Chief Executive of Peterborough City Council, said: "I would like to thank the people of Peterborough, our businesses and partners for showing the city's unity and strength on Saturday.
I am pleased to report that we did not need a major clean-up operation because the city did not suffer any damage to property.
I was also very proud to be among six hundred people who joined Sunday¿s candlelit vigil on the Cathedral Green and would like to thank those who organised, contributed and supported the event.
I would now urge people to once again show their support for Peterborough by spending their money in the city centre in the run-up to Christmas to help those businesses who were affected by a loss of trade on Saturday."