The Amazing Story Of James Bowen And Bob The Cat
As the Big-Issue-vendor-turned-celebrated-author James prepares to publish his sixth book, follow the incredible journey with his purrrfect companion, a cat called Bob.
1. Bob the cat has turned his fortunes around with companion James Bowen.
Seven years ago the ex-Big Issue seller James was homeless and living sporadically in in sheltered accommodation and busking to make a living. However, his life was revolutionised when a stray ginger cat one day turned up at his front door. Picture: Rex
2. James Bowen and Bob the cat become inseparable friends.
James Bowen named his new furry friend Bob after the character in David Lynch's 'Twin Peaks' and the two set to work selling The Big Issue outside tube stations in London.
3. Bob finds it pretty easy to make friends...and we can see why!
School girl Alice Jarvis meets Bob whilst he joins James Busking in Covent Garden. Picture: Rex
4. James and Bob became so popular they were talent spotted by a literary agent!
The pair quickly turned into a Youtube sensation as tourists and punters uploaded videos of the friends going about their business. It didn't take long after this for a publishing agent to recognise the friend's potential and get in touch. Picture: Rex
5. Bob is a very fashion savvy cat and loves his scarves!
In March 2012 the pals published their very first book 'A Street Cat Named Bob', which went on to become a world wide phenomenon and has been published in over 35 languages. Picture: Rex
6. Bob the cat is a Social Media king, with over 200,000 fans on Facebook and 50,000 on Twitter!
Bob's legions of fans call themselves "Bobites"! Picture: Rex
7. James Bowen and Bob attend a joint book signing of their story 'The World According To Bob'.
"All the attention is a bit scary but so is sleeping rough on the streets of London for the first time" James told 'Big Issue', "You just adapt." Six books later and the friends are now huge celebrities with friends the world over. Picture: Rex
8. "It's a story of hope coming out of absolute despair" devotee Martin Pickett tells 'Big Issue'.
The 44-year-old delivery man is the founder of Bob's very own Facebook page. The Tesco's driver originally fell in love with Bob and James' story after reading 'A Street Cat Named Bob' and now spends his time organising meet-and-greets between Bob and his many fans.
9. James Bowen and Bob have taken the world by storm and proven that things can always get better.
Congratulations to them both! Picture: Rex