Fit For Modern Day Police
Six years after it was given the go-ahead 147 strong workforce will move into their brand new £3.36 million police station in Plymouth.
Devonport officers had to be split up as the existing site at Marlborough street wasn't fit for purpose.
It was an old bank, built in the mid 1950's and bought by the authority in 1997.
CID had to move to Charles Cross while the response team went to Plympton leaving the Neighbourhood officers to work out of Portacabins housed in the car park.
The new station will not have an enquiry office and will be open to the public by appointment only.
After delays in identifying a suitable site it took until May 2011 for the sale and planning to go through and main contractor Midas actually started work in October with a 52 week build programme.
Like much of Plymouth Devonport suffered heavy bombing during World War II and the new building's concrete foundations had to be adjusted to take into account huge underground voids.
Fortunately, no bombs were found and despite the delay Midas will hand over the building on time and within both build and overall budget.
- 1200m2 over three floors Concrete frame Solar thermal/hot water system
- Underfloor heating in ground floor locker room
- Photovoltaic System for energy generation
- On target to achieve BREEAM Very Good classification (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method)
- One of the 'greenest' buildings in the Police Estate
Facts & Figures
- Devonport's first police force was formed in 1838.
- Devonport Borough Police continued to patrol the area until 1914 when Devonport town amalgamated with the towns of East Stonehouse and Plymouth, to form the town of Plymouth.
- Devonport Borough Police became part of the Devon County Constabulary.
- Plymouth later received city status in 1928.