Help for Plymouth truants
More than a hundred youngsters have been helped in the past 4-years.
Most sixteen year olds leave school with qualifications and some job prospects. But for those who've missed school because of truanting it can be a different story.
They are likely to leave with the reading and writing ability of an EIGHT year old, have little to no job prospects and eventually to survive on the streets will fall into a life of crime.
The Youth Intervention workers' who work 1:1 with young people identified at risk of offending identify library engagement and reading targets for their caseload, support behaviour management at weekly HeadSpace sessions and work 1:1 with HeadSpace young people at risk of offending.
Key projects delivered together to date include:
- Secondary Inclusion Programme (SIP) – an offsite education provision for young people at risk of school exclusion;
- HeadSpace – a library run by young people for young people in a deprived area;
- Film making – our joint entry for the Public Library Building Awards 2008;
- Training – library service and project briefings for SIP and Intervention workers;
- Summer workshops – songwriting at Budo Beatz, Fashion targets knife crime at St Budeaux Library;
- Library promotion – community fairs and library sessions within youth drop-ins.
Tiles used to improve reading skills.
For further information and to request a referral form please contact the Team on 01752 304800.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: Non-stop hit music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.