Coulson Trial Jury Sent Away Again
1 June 2015, 13:26
The jury in the perjury trial of former News of the World editor Andy Coulson has been told to return later this week as the court continues to deal with legal issues.
Coulson, 47, the Prime Minister's former director of communications, is on trial at the High Court in Edinburgh accused of lying under oath in the 2010 perjury trial of ex-Socialist MSP Tommy Sheridan.
He denies the allegations against him.
Last week, after seven days of evidence, prosecutor Richard Goddard closed the case for the Crown.
Judge Lord Burns then sent the jury of nine men and six women away and told them to return on Friday as "legal matters" had arisen and needed to be debated.
After being sent away again until today, Lord Burns said: "I regret again that I have to tell you that we are not in a position to proceed at this stage and I have to ask you in these circumstances to come back at 10am on Wednesday.
"I again regret this delay and the disruption it causes in your lives, but again I have to say it is absolutely necessary to do this."
Prosecutors allege that Coulson, from Kent, made false claims on December 9 and 10 2010 after being sworn in as a witness at Mr Sheridan's trial.
It is alleged that Coulson falsely stated that before the arrest of private investigator Glenn Mulcaire and News of the World journalist Clive Goodman in 2006, he did not know that Mr Goodman was involved in phone hacking with Mr Mulcaire.
Coulson pleads not guilty to the allegations against him.
The trial continues.