Navy Staff Taken To Hospital After Inhaling Nitrogen In Faslane Exercise
17 May 2017, 13:39
Six Royal Navy personnel were taken to hospital after accidentally inhaling gas at a base in Argyll and Bute.
A routine exercise was being carried out when a fire suppression system on a ship was triggered at HM Faslane on the River Clyde.
It released gas, believed to be nitrogen, which six people inhaled.
Ambulance crews attended the scene and the navy workers were taken to Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, Renfrewshire, as a precaution.
A Royal Navy spokesman said: "We can confirm that there has been an incident on a surface ship alongside HM Naval Base Clyde this morning.
"A routine fire exercise triggered the ship's fire suppression system, which resulted in a number of personnel inhaling a gas.
"Six personnel were taken to hospital as a precaution and have now been released; all others were declared fit at the naval base's sick bay.
"There was no threat to the naval base or the public, and nor was there at any time a fire on board.
"The ship's company, which is trained to deal with all scenarios, dealt with the incident extremely professionally.
"The ship's company are now back on board the vessel and an immediate ship's investigation will be conducted in due course.''