No Trace Of Missing Fishermen
9 February 2018, 19:05
Marine accident investigators have completed their survey of the wreck of a fishing boat which sank last month with the loss of two fishermen.
The Marine Accident Investigation Branch said it would now decide "as soon as possible" whether the Nancy Glen should be raised from the seabed as part of its investigation.
It was assessing the "extensive quantity" of data collected during the "largely successful" survey.
Duncan MacDougall and Przemek Krawczyk were on board the Nancy Glen when it capsized in Loch Fyne in Argyll and Bute on January 18.
The alarm was raised by a third fisherman, who was pulled from the water by the crew of a passing boat.
No trace of Mr MacDougall or Mr Krawczyk has been found.
Northern Lighthouse Board vessel Pharos carried out a multi-beam sonar survey of the wreck, which is lying at a depth of more than 459 feet (140m).
The MAIB then contracted KML to carry out a more detailed survey of the wreck, which involved using a remotely operated vehicle.
On Friday the MAIB said: "We have now competed our underwater survey of the wreck of Nancy Glen, which despite the depth and poor underwater visibility has been largely successful.
"We are now in the process of assessing the extensive quantity of data collected, which is taking some time.
"We are very conscious of the need to come to a decision as soon as possible as to whether or not the MAIB intends to raise the wreck as part of its investigation.
"However, we do not expect to make an announcement on this until after the weekend."
A fundraising campaign to raise the prawn trawler from the bottom of the sea loch and recover the men's bodies has so far raised more than £229,000.
The Clyde Fishermen's Trust (CFT) set up the campaign to recover the missing men and support their families.
On Saturday, hundreds of people attended a special service on the quayside at Tarbert, during which a candle was lit and will continue to burn until the two men are returned home.