Safety Inspector Banned Following M&D's Crash
18 July 2016, 12:16
A safety inspector has been given a temporary ban as part of the probe into a rollercoaster crash which left children seriously injured.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has issue a prohibition notice banning the independent operator from carrying out any more inspections while its investigation into the crash last month at M&D's theme park at Strathclyde Country Park, Motherwell, North Lanarkshire, continues.
Fairground owners who have had rides inspected by the man, who has not been named by the HSE, have been told to take "appropriate action''.
Eight children and two adults were taken to hospital after the Tsunami ride derailed and plunged 20ft to the ground on Sunday June 26.
Three children were said to be in a serious condition.
HSE said in a statement: "HSE is currently investigating the crash of the Tsunami ride at M&D theme park on Sunday June 26 and will continue to work closely with Police Scotland and the Crown Office while the cause of the incident is established.
"As part of the ongoing investigation, HSE has taken enforcement action against an independent fairground ride inspector.
"They have been served with a prohibition notice which prevents them from undertaking any inspection of fairground rides until the condition of the prohibition notice is fulfilled.
"HSE is working with industry bodies to ensure all fairground owners are aware of the prohibition notice.
"Ride owners directly affected by this individual's work are being contacted through industry bodies to ensure they are able take any appropriate action that is necessary.''
Indoor areas of the amusement park have reopened since the crash but outdoor sections and all rides remain closed.
A spokeswoman for M&D's said: ``We're unable to comment on any decisions taken by HSE.''