Bodies Of Scots Killed In Tunisia Returned To Families
5 July 2015, 07:23
James and Ann McQuire and Billy and Lisa Graham were amongst 38 people shot dead last Friday.
The bodies of four Scottish tourists killed in the Tunisia terror attack have been released to their families.
An inquest heard William Graham, 51, died from gunshot wounds to his pelvis while his wife Lisa Graham, 50, died from gunshot wounds to her chest.
The couple, from Perth, had travelled to Tunisia to celebrate Lisa's 50th birthday.
James and Ann McQuire from Cumbernauld , aged 66 and 63, were both fatally shot in the chest, the coroner was told.
Their bodies were repatriated back to London for post-mortems to be carried out and will now be taken to Scotland, at the families' request.
They were all formally identified by their dental records.
Thirty Britons were among 38 victims killed by Seifeddine Rezgui when he opened fire in the resort of Sousse at around 11.15am on Friday June 26.
Detective Sergeant David Batt of the Metropolitan Police Counter Terrorism Command told the inquest the shootings lasted around 30 minutes.
"Tourists were indiscriminately targeted by the gunman," he said in a statement read during the hearings.
"The gunman was shot by security services."
The bodies of the victims were moved to the central mortuary in Tunis after they were killed, he added.
"Senior UK police identification managers have assisted in Tunisia and in the UK to oversee the identification process," he said.
Mr Batt said 275 witness accounts have been taken by police so far, and more than 1,200 potential witnesses have returned to the UK.
"Accounts are being taken from those who are deemed significant," he added.
On Friday the Queen and the Prime Minister joined millions of people across the country in a minute's silence in tribute to those killed.