On Air Now
17 October 2014, 19:08
Two students at the same university have been diagnosed with meningitis, it has been confirmed.
The two cases at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow are not thought to be connected but staff have sent an email to all students warning them of the signs and symptoms of the illness as a precaution.
The email, sent yesterday afternoon to the whole university community, said people close to the affected students had been identified and given medical advice.
It read: "Bacterial meningitis is a serious condition that is most commonly found in young people and children. Two Strathclyde students have recently been diagnosed with the illness
"Please note that the affected students' close contacts have already been identified and given medical advice. As you do not fall into this close contact category, you are not considered at risk."
A spokesman for the university said: "The two cases are not connected, but as a precaution, we are circulating information to staff and students to remind them of the signs and symptoms to be aware of."
Both students are now recovering in hospital.
The public health protection unit at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde was notified, with the health board saying in a statement that there is no identifiable link between the two cases.
Dr Catriona Milosevic, consultant in public health medicine, said: "We are pleased that both cases are stable and showing signs of recovery.
"Whilst meningococcal disease is very serious and requires urgent attention, it responds quickly to antibiotics and is not easily passed from person to person.
"We know that students are more at risk of getting meningitis just after starting university as they are mixing closely with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the meningococcal bacteria."
She added: "The public health protection unit takes all cases of meningococcal disease very seriously and takes prompt action.
"We encourage students, not just those in Strathclyde University who have received information leaflets, to be aware of the symptoms of meningococcal disease."