On Air Now
1 December 2015, 17:54
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said she was "disturbed'' to learn that large refuse trucks are still driving on pedestrian streets in Glasgow after they were restricted in the wake of last year's bin lorry disaster.
The Scottish Sun revealed pictures of a 12-tonne refuse collection vehicle collecting rubbish in central Glasgow, despite council pledges made after six people were killed by a runaway bin lorry in George Square on December 22.
A council boss told the fatal accident inquiry into the deaths that only much smaller vehicles with cages on the back are allowed on city streets after 8am.
Speaking to journalists during a briefing at her Edinburgh residence, Ms Sturgeon said: "I am concerned at any suggestions that the regulations that are supposed to be adhered about refuse trucks, what they do and what they don't do, are not being adhered to given the horror that unfolded on the streets of Glasgow almost a year ago.
"Obviously this is a matter for the council, but I was disturbed by what I read this morning.
"It underlines the importance of making sure that very large, very heavy vehicles of this nature do abide by the rules that are set out.
"I hope that the council is taking steps to make sure that that is the case.''