John Lennon's Sketches and Manuscripts Auction
John Lennon 'You Might Well Arsk': Original Drawings and Manuscripts, 1964-65 at Sotheby's New York' will go up for auction with the most expensive works expected to fetch expensive between £30,000- £42,000.
1. John Lennon fans will be able to bid on some of the late musician's previously unseen work.
John Lennon fans will have the chance to snap up rare sketches and manuscripts handwritten by the late Beatles star when a collection of his work - which was originally produced for his books 'In His Own Write' (1964) and 'A Spaniard In The Works' (1965) - goes on auction at at Sotheby's New York next month.
2. The auction, which takes place on June 4th, is set to include 89 pieces.
The most expensive lot in the collection is a handwritten manuscript of 'The Singularge Experience Of Miss Anne Duffield', which is valued at between £30,000 - £42,000.
3. The drawings and poems all date back to the early 1960s at the height of 'Beatlemania'.
One of the manuscripts containing a reference to the iconic British band's first single 'Love Me Do', released in 1962.
4. The auction will coincide with the 50th anniversary of Lennon's book 'In His Own Write'.
It also coincides with the 50th anniversary of the Beatles first appearance on the 'Ed Sullivan show' in America.
5. Many of the drawings are tongue in cheek and display Lennon's sense of humour.
Some of the drawings are said to be comical, something which Richard Austin, head of books and titles at Sotheby's New York, claims is a running theme throughout the collection. "You really see Lennon's humour coming through in a lot of the artwork," he explains. Picture: PA
6. Lennon fans will be able to see other sides to his talent.
The collection is set to put a smile on people's faces when they look at his obscure collection of drawings. "He loved to draw these sorts of grotesque, fantastic characters, and you see a lot of those on display on the walls as well," says Richard Austin of Sotheby's New York "It's something that when you go through, everyone seems to crack a smile when they start looking at the drawings." Picture: PA
7. This the largest private collection of John Lennon work.
'John Lennon 'You Might Well Arsk': Original Drawings and Manuscripts, 1964-65' at Sotheby's in New York City is the largest private collection of John Lennon's work ever to come to market and is set to show the late Beatles star's artistic side. Picture: PA