Your one-stop shop for all information about the upcoming 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'.
EastEnders Was THRASHED By Emmerdale At The British Soap Awards
Well, this is awkward. The Yorkshire soap has walked away with all the big trophies this year.
This is one plot twist that the residents of Albert Square did not see coming. The BBC One drama was trounced at the British Soap Awards on Saturday – only achieving one trophy. Meanwhile, ITV’s Emmerdale walked away with SIX. Ouch.
The event, hosted by good old Philip Schofield, was held on Saturday night at The Lowry in Salford, Greater Manchester. It was meant to be broadcast live but after the One Love Manchester concert was arranged, the Britain’s Got Talent final was moved to Saturday night instead. You can still see all the action tonight at 8pm on ITV, and judge how good some of your favourite actors really are by their reactions when they lose.
Good old Pip. Picture: ITV
The EastEnders win was a special award for scriptwriter Gillian Richmond, who has contributed to the show for an impressive 30 years. But the night was Emmerdale’s. The good folk from TV’s most dramatic village went home with the big one – Best British Soap – for the second year running. Boom.
Read more: Is An Emmerdale Mass Exodus On The Way?
Emmerdale’s moving exit storyline for former vicar Ashley Thomas won the show the bulk of its awards. John Middleton won for Best Actor and Best Male Dramatic Performance while his co-star Charlotte Bellamy (who plays Ashley’s wife Laurel) won Best Actress. This is a huge moment and a deserved win for both stars. Best Actor and Best Actress often goes to Emmerdale’s Danny Miller and EastEnders’ Lacey Turner.
Ashley’s highly praised dementia storyline also won Emmerdale the Best Storyline trophy and the Best Single Episode award for a special episode shown from Ashley’s perspective.
Coronation Street, meanwhile, won four awards, including Best Female Performance for Kym Marsh.
One thing’s for sure – the Hollyoaks lot are always guaranteed to be the rowdiest and most vocal on the night, regardless of what they win.
FULL WINNERS’ LIST:
- Best single episode: Emmerdale - Ashley's point of view
- Best male dramatic performance: John Middleton (Emmerdale)
- Best comedy performance: Dolly-Rose Campbell (Coronation Street)
- Best female dramatic performance: Kym Marsh (Coronation Street)
- Best on-screen partnership: Richard Linnell and Kassius Nelson (Hollyoaks)
- Villain of the year: Lucy-Jo Hudson (Doctors)
- Best young performance: Elle Mulvaney (Coronation Street)
- Best newcomer: Rob Mallard (Coronation Street)
- Scene of the year: Hollyoaks - Jade says goodbye to Alfie
- Best storyline: Emmerdale - Ashley’s dementia
- Best actress: Charlotte Bellamy (Emmerdale)
- Best actor: John Middleton (Emmerdale)
- Best British soap: Emmerdale
- Outstanding achievement: Nick Pickard (Hollyoaks)
- The Tony Warren Award: Gillian Richmond, EastEnders scriptwriter
The British Soap Awards are on ITV at 8pm tonight.
Read more: Viewers React To 'Kat & Alfie: Redwater'
The Bee Gees singer took to the stage during the 'legends' slot of Glastonbury Festival.
Recently Played Tracks
To listen live, choose your preferred station:
Now playing: The best feel good music