Coastguard Search of Isle of Wight called off

11 October 2015, 05:16

A sea and air search operation has been called off for a passenger reported to have fallen overboard from a cruise ship off the Isle of Wight on Saturday.

 


The man is understood to have entered the water from the Ventura as it was returning to Southampton, Hampshire, from a two-week trip to the Mediterranean.

A Coastguard helicopter and RNLI lifeboats were involved in searches of an area with a 25 nautical mile radius south of St Catherine's Point of the Isle of Wight since the early hours but the search was called off this afternoon.

The P&O ship, which can carry up to 3,200 passengers, had also retraced its route across the area to assist the search.

A Coastguard spokeswoman said: ``We are still broadcasting to all shipping to look out for anything in the water.''

Steven Fagioli posted on the ship's Facebook page: ``Late back, lost a passenger overboard last night. Search continuing with coastguards etc.''

A P&O Cruises spokesman said its arrival had been delayed and added: ``Following reports of a missing person earlier this morning, Ventura conducted a full search of the area off the coast of the Isle of Wight.''
 

This Morning X factor Blunder

WATCH: Holly Willoughby Lets Slip X Factor Result Live On This Morning!

Liar Finale v2

WATCH! Liar Has Gruelling Ending As Fans Name 6 Suspects In 'Whodunnit' Twist

The Lion King West End

These Facts About The Magic Behind The Lion King Will Make You Say WOW

Emma Barton, Emmerdale

Who Killed Emma Barton? We Rate The Suspects!