Two Men Charged With Soldier's Deaths
2 November 2017, 10:13
Two men have been charged after three soldiers, including one from Winchester, died during a selection march in the Brecon Beacons.
Lance Corporal Edward Maher and two other men died on the hottest day of 2013.
At an inquest into their deaths in 2015, coroner Louise Hunt said parts of the planning and conduct of the march were inadequate or not fit for purpose.
She said inadequate supplies of water also contributed to one of the deaths.
All three men died as a result of a "failure to properly organise and manage" the march on July 13 2013, she added.
On Thursday a spokesman for the Service Prosecuting Authority (SPA) confirmed the charges had been directed.
Two SAS soldiers known only as 1A and 1B could face up to two years in prison and dismissal if convicted.
The SPA initially decided not to charge anyone over the deaths but the charges were directed after lawyers acting for some of the bereaved lodged a review.