Hampshire Police Have Car Crash Display to Warn People Of The Dangers Of Drink Driving.
100,000 Visitors Due At Southampton Boat Show
Many of the world's top boatbuilders and sailors will be in Southampton over the next ten days, for the city's Boat Show.
100,000 visitors are expected.
There are hundreds of boats on display, including 330 on the marina itself and over 2km of pontoons.
Friday's official opening has been done by actress Michelle Keegan, with members of the British Olympic Sailing Team.
“I am thrilled to be opening the Southampton Boat Show this year. As an avid fan of all types of activity on the water, I’m really excited to spend some time at the Show, soaking up the atmosphere and experiencing some of the brilliant attractions on offer.”
The British Sailing team members who helped open the Show are:
Gold medalists Giles Scott (Men’s Finn), Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark (470 Dinghy) and silver medalist Nick Dempsey (Men’s RS:X windsurfer) will be joined by:
- Nick Thompson (double Laser World Champion)
- Alison Young (reigning Laser Radial World Champion)
- Luke Patience and Chris Grube (470 Dinghy)
- Dylan Fletcher and Alain Sign (Men’s 49er skiff)
- Charlotte Dobson and Sophie Ainsworth (Women’s 49er FX skiff)
- Ben Saxton and Nicola Groves (Mixed Nacra 17 multihull)
- Bryony Shaw (Women's RS:X windsurfer)
Bosses at the Boat Show said:
'Featuring one of Europe's largest purpose-built marinas, and as one of the world's top 10 Boat Shows, the event plays host to lots of family-friendly attractions such as:
- Bumper Boats in the Arena for the younger visitors;
- A number of spectacular air display's over the Marina;
- A Festival Stage in Solent Park with live music, talks from sailing and boating professionals and fashion shows across the 10-day event;
- The Global Challenge Sailing Experience on a 72ft Round the World Ocean Race Yacht;
- The VIP Platinum Experience which includes a trip out on a luxury motor yacht;
- The magnificent Tall Ship Artemis will be taking centre stage on the Marina, with visitors being able to climb aboard her.
'There will also be plenty of opportunities for visitors to get out on the water for free and experience dinghy sailing, power boating or taking a ride on a RIB. Regardless of age or experience, the whole family will be able to get active and explore the world of boating and watersports. These free attractions include:
- On the Water's "Get Afloat", supported by the team at Rockley: a tailor made attraction offering visitors aged 8-16 year the chance to discover dinghy sailing and Stand up Paddleboarding (SUP);
- "Try-a-Boat" sessions from On the Water to allow visitors to experience being out on the water on a varied selection of vessels;
- "Wet Wheels", a 9m Cheetah Catamaran that has been specially adapted for wheelchair access. Powered by two of Suzuki's flagship V6 300hp outboard engines it is capable of driving at 40 knots.'
Extra officers and specially-trained staff are starting visits to vulnerable people - as reports tend to increase at Christmas.
West Quay Watermark's first restaurants are opening, ahead of a bowling alley and cinema.
26-year-old mum of two Natasha Wake was stabbed to death at a house in Harley Gardens in Boscombe.
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.