Hotel 'Sorry' After Family Pet Dog Shot

A hotel chain has suspended its pest control measures in the UK after a pet dog was mistakenly shot dead at a site in Hampshire.

It happened at the Marriott Meon Valley golf course on Tuesday 3 September.

It is understood the four-year-old Whippet, called Wilma, was mistaken for a rabbit after getting onto the course through the dog owner's adjoining hedge in Shedfield.

A statement for Marriott read:

"Pest controllers are used to prevent damage to the golf course and grounds.  This is standard industry practice across most golf courses in the UK and the pest controllers are fully trained and licenced. 

"A police investigation is underway and we are fully cooperating.  Until this is complete we have suspended all pest control across our UK hotels.  We are deeply sorry for the distress this unprecedented and sad incident has caused the dog's owners."

No arrests have been made.

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Club Classics with Roberto

12am - 1am

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Club Classics with Roberto

On TV: Christmas Hits: Guess The Year

12am - 2am

Watch heart TV

  • Lily Allen Somewhere Only We Know

    00:20

    iTunes

  • S Club 7 Never Had A Dream Come True

    00:17

    iTunes

  • Lady Antebellum Have Yourself A Merry Little Chrismas

    00:13

    iTunes

  • Jona Lewie Stop The Cavalry

    00:07

    iTunes

Heart VIP

Local

Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Follow Heart on Twitter