Student Led To Safety After Fire

A student has been led to safety by firefighters after a fire in a student accommodation block in Southampton.

Fire crews were called to the 16-floor Liberty Quays complex shortly before 5am this morning (May21) after the block's fire alarm was activated.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus  carried out a search operation and located the female in a 12th floor bedroom and led her to safety.

The fire involved a sofa in the communal kitchen of a flat on the 12th floor and firefighters worked quickly to extinguish the blaze using three jets.

Group Manager Dave Turner said:

"A significant fire had broken out in the kitchen of the flat and on discovering there was a person unaccounted for we quickly carried out a search operation to locate and lead the casualty to safety.

"Our positive and prompt firefighting action then stopped the fire spreading beyond the kitchen."

Crews from St Mary's, Hightown, Redbridge, Winchester, Botley and Romsey dealt with the fire.

A joint investigation will be carried out between Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and Hampshire Police to establish the cause of the fire.


Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Angela Jay

4pm - 7pm

Text 'SOUTH' to 82122

Angela Jay

On TV: 2000s: The Quiz

3pm - 5pm

Watch heart TV

  • Ariana Grande SIDE TO SIDE FT. NICKI MINAJ

    16:13

  • Machine Gun Kelly BAD THINGS FT. CAMILLA CABELLO

    16:09

  • James Arthur SAY YOU WON'T LET GO

    16:06

    iTunes

  • Neiked SEXUAL

    16:03

    iTunes

Heart VIP

Local

Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Follow Heart on Twitter