Three Donkeys Killed In New Forest Hit And Run
10 November 2014, 12:10
Police in the New Forest are trying to trace a tall-sided white van after a road collision in the New Forest, which left three donkeys dead.
It is believed to have happened between 5am and 5.30am on Monday, November 3, at Roger Penny Way in Brook near Cadnam.
The person who reported the collision told officers a white van with its offside headlight askew was in the area at the time. The van was heading towards Fordingbridge.
Police are asking drivers to take extra care on rural roads in the New Forest overnight.
Animals may be crossing roads in the National Park and the road surface may attract animals as it retains heat during the evening, unlike grassy surfaces.
They've issued the following advice:
- Take note of warning signs.
- Keep your speed down - It's forty for a reason in areas like the New Forest.
- Be prepared to reduce your speed according to the visibility.
- Be especially aware at dusk and dawn and keep an eye out for more than one animal crossing the road at a time.
- Use headlights on high beam if there is no oncoming traffic and dip them quickly when oncoming traffic appears.
Anyone with any information about the white van seen in the area is asked to contact PC Gary Kimble at Hythe police station on 101.