Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Heart's guide to the heart
Here's some amazing facts about the most important organ in your body.
- Your heart beats around 100,000 times every day and about 35 million times in a year. That means that during an average lifetime, your heart will beat an amazing 2.5 billion times!
- During your lifetime, your heart will pump about a million barrels of blood around your body. That’s enough to fill a massive oil tanker.
- In one day, your blood travels about 12,000 miles – that’s the distance from England to New Zealand!
- Make a fist with your hand. A child’s heart is about the same size as their fist, while an adult’s heart is the size of two fists.
- You can calculate your maximum heart rate by using the following calculation: 220 – your age. Your lower target heart rate is 60% of that and your upper target 85% of that. You should try to keep your heart beating at a rate between those figures while exercising.
- A giraffe has almost 40 litres of blood – ten times more than the average human. To pump that blood up its neck to it’s brain, the heart is far bigger, weighing more than 40 times more than a human’s heart.
And here’s seven simple ways to be good to your heart:
- Exercise more
- Eat less fatty foods
- Lower your cholesterol
- Reduce the salt in your diet
- If you smoke, stop
- If you drink, do so in moderation
- Take time out to relax
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...