Top Tips for runners
Here's a check-list of the most important things to concentrate on when you're training and competing in longer-distance events ..
...and if you've got any other tips to pass on, please use the form at the foot of the page.
• Get the right footwear.
• When training ALWAYS take the time to warm up and warm down including all those important muscles of the legs (quadriceps, hamstrings, hip flexors and calves.)
• Always make sure you hydrate yourself often during workouts with lukewarm water; it is easier to digest and takes effect quicker.
• To aid recovery during training the most crucial time to eat and drink is in the hour immediately after you run.
• Be careful when training after a break, be sure to ease yourself back in.
• Vary your route! There’s nothing like familiarity to make you lose motivation.
• Trying something different – a spin class or circuit class will increase your anaerobic fitness and also provide you with a good variety of training before the big race.
• Be selective about where you run. The likelihood of injury is reduced when you run on softer surfaces, such as packed dirt or grass. Running on softer surfaces doesn’t completely prepare you for the hard streets, but if mixed in with hard surface running, it will lessen the likelihood of injury during training and help to prepare you for the race.
Your marathon running tips
Recently Played Tracks
To listen live, choose your preferred station:
Now playing: Non-stop hit music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.