54-Year-Old Man Jailed For 16 Years. Border Officers Scanned Package Off Barbados Flight.
Brighton Beach Closed To Christmas Day Swimmers
Brighton City Council discouraging people from swimming in the sea on Christmas Day.
The council will once again be taking extra measures to discourage swimmers from taking a Christmas Day dip by closing access to the beaches around Brighton Pier.
“Sea swimming takes skill, stamina and knowledge of the physical dangers and should only be for the very experienced, using suitable wetsuits, in very calm conditions and with a friend,” said Chris. “Even on a calm day sea currents, undertow or a sudden change in weather can create life threatening hazards without warning. Even experienced swimmers can get caught out.”
Seafront Officers are also urging residents and visitors to stay away from the sea over the festive period.
The warning comes as the recent mild weather has drawn more people onto the beaches, many getting dangerously close to the crashing waves.
Seafront Operations Manager Chris Ingall explained: “The continuing mild weather has meant that, as with last year, the seafront has been much busier than in previous winters. It’s been great to see so many people enjoying a stroll on the promenade and its good news for seafront businesses, but we would ask people to stay on the path or high up on the beach, especially when the sea conditions are rough.
“Please keep a close eye on children and hold their hand when on the beach. Do not allow children to play ‘chicken’ with the surf washing up the beach – we see this regularly on big winter surf days and this is precisely how people become washed out to sea. Parents need to take greater responsibility and keep little ones close at all times when visiting the beach.”
Dog owners are also advised to keep their pets on leads and away from the shoreline.
These Winter Water Facts, endorsed by the RNLI, show why it is better to stay on the shore rather than in the water at this time of year:
• Sea temperatures so far this winter are around 11 degrees centigrade but can drop to around 5 degrees or even colder.
• Even on an apparently clear sunny day, the sea temperature can drop body temperature quickly and fatally.
• It only takes a few minutes for the body’s core temperature to drop by two degrees and for the onset of hypothermia to begin.
• It is never safe to go into the sea after drinking alcohol. Even a small amount of alcohol speeds up the onset of hypothermia in cold water. Drinking also reduces your capabilities. You may also think you are a better swimmer than your true ability and take unnecessary risks.
• Anyone with a pre-existing medical condition or taking medication runs additional risks by subjecting their body to a sudden drop of temperature by entering the sea.
• Winter environmental conditions can be extremely challenging, even for the most experienced swimmers. The tide and the weather dictate the conditions and these should not be underestimated.
• There is no beach lifeguard service provision in place during the winter months
• Large crashing waves close to the shore can place emergency services’ lives at risk and make it impossible to reach those in need.
Southern Rail's Putting On Extra 200 Trains.
An 18-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murdering Leonne Weeks, 16, who was found dead on a path in Rotherham.
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart 102.4 and 103.5
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.