Lewes Bonfire Horror Injury
A 21-year-old man, who was hit in the chest by a stray firework during Lewes bonfire night, is fighting for his life.
He was taking part in the Commercial Square society display at the Landport Recreation ground. A doctor from the medical charity SIMCAS treated the casualty on-site before he was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, where he underwent emergency chest surgery
His condition is said to be "critical but stable".
Dr Alan Pearce of SIMCAS said: "He is extremely lucky to be alive after such a serious injury. The Lewes bonfire celebrations are always a very busy time for the ambulance service and this incident highlights the very real dangers of fireworks."
The Health and Safety Executive and Sussex police have launched an enquiry into what went wrong
Police have told Heart they arrested 23 people, mostly for being drunk and disorderly. Eighteen of those were held overnight in police cells.
As well as the incident at Landport, paramedics and the St John Ambulance treated 126 casualties, 14 of whom ended up hospital.
Stray fireworks damaged two houses. One ended up in the bedroom of a house in Stansfield Road, the other in the stairwell of flats in Crisp Road.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music