Heartline Craig David Download 'Heartline' on iTunes
8 July 2016, 00:00
A Worthing man with chronic mental health problems, who stabbed a Great grandfather to death on the A24 near Findon has been sentenced to life in a medium secure hospital, with a minimum of 10 years.
Matthew Daley, 35, stabbed 79-year-old Donald Lock multiple times on the A24 at Findon, near Worthing, on July 16 last year after a minor crash.
Bryony Waite reports from Lewes Crown Court.
Don Locks son, Andrew Daley, spoke outside Lewes Crown Court after the sentencing.
DCI Paul Rymarz also commented on the outcome of the judges decision at the end of this emotional trial and sentencing.
Before the killing Daley's family had "pleaded'' with clinicians to section him as his mental health declined, the trial heard. NHS chiefs have apologised to his relatives for not doing more.
After Daley's trial Don Lock's son Andrew Lock spoke outside Lewes Crown Court:
Shortly before the trial, the chief executive of Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust wrote to Daley's family apologising, but Mrs Daley said it was "too late".
After the conviction, Colm Donaghy, chief executive of the trust, said:
"On behalf of the Trust, I apologise unreservedly because the care we provided to Matthew Daley should have been better. I also want to offer my sincere condolences to the family of Don Lock and everyone else affected by this tragic, devastating incident.
"Mr Daley was referred to our services in January 2008. He received treatment from our early intervention service, which helps people who are starting to experience the symptoms of psychosis. He was later transferred to the care of one of our community mental health teams where he received treatment for a combination of Asperger's syndrome (a form of autism) and psychosis.
"Having reviewed his care, it's clear that we should have reviewed Mr Daley's diagnosis, looked at other ways of providing treatment, done more to help him manage his symptoms of psychosis and listened to his family more closely.
"We got things wrong. But I do not believe that any of our staff acted in a way which was deliberately negligent or designed to cause harm. They knew Mr Daley well and believed they were doing the right things to help him. We will do things differently as a result of this tragic incident.
"The care and treatment we provided will now be subject to an independent inquiry commissioned by NHS England.
"In the meantime, we have commissioned our own independent review, jointly with NHS England, of all homicides from 2011 to 2016 involving patients known to Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust.
"We have done this because we want the public, people who use our services and the organisations which commission them to be assured that we have done everything we should have in response to these tragic cases. We will publish this report in full."
Detective Chief Inspector Paul Rymarz, who led the investigation for Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said:
“This is a tragic case for all those involved. It happened in a peaceful area of West Sussex on a busy road which thousands of people use regularly. This terrible incident came out of the blue and when it happened, it was horrific for all first responders and witnesses.
“What has struck us is how dignified Don’s family have been throughout the whole investigation. We have been humbled by them and I hope the trial has provided them with some answers so they can somehow move on after what was a terrible incident.
“I would also like to thank all those involved in investigating the case, from the first responders, the forensics and investigation teams who brought this to court.”
For all the information on the case from Sussex Police, please click here.