A pilot has died after his light aircraft crashed a short distance from where it took off in Oxfordshire.
Newbury: Man Sentenced To Six Years For Manslaughter
A 60-year-old man has been sentenced to six years' imprisonment for manslaughter in Newbury.
On 30 January at Reading Crown Court, Nigel Talman, of Carnarvon Place, Newbury, pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
Officers were called to a house in Carnarvon Place at 7.28am on 17 August last year after receiving a call from Talman stating that he had killed his wife, Sandra.
Her body was discovered in the house, where she was pronounced dead by paramedics. A post mortem showed the cause of death was compression to the neck.
Talman was arrested and charged on 18 August with murder. He later pleaded guilty to manslaughter, which was accepted by the Crown Prosecution Service.
Today he was sentenced to six years in prison for the offence.
Investigating officer Ch Insp Ailsa Kent said: "This is a tragic case in which Sandra Talman lost her life. No sentence can bring Sandra back, but I hope that her family and friends feel some sense of justice."
Chief Crown Prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service, Adrian Foster said: "This case involved the untimely death of 62-year-old Sandra Talman at her home in Newbury last August.
"Nigel Talman had been due to stand trial for his wife’s murder, but on Friday, 30 January 2015, he pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility.
"Manslaughter by diminished responsibility is a partial defence to murder, which is only established if it is more likely than not that a defendant suffered from an abnormality of mind that substantially impaired their responsibility of their actions.
"When Talman pleaded guilty to manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility, we carefully and thoroughly reviewed all the evidence in this case, including the assessment of psychiatric experts. In light of all the evidence, we took the view that there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction for murder.
"We fully discussed our decision to accept the plea with Sandra’s family.We hope that the conviction and today’s sentence brings them at least a small sense that justice has been done.
"We acknowledge that nothing can make up for the loss felt by Sandra’s family and friends and our thoughts are very much with them all at this time."
Part of Raleigh Park sealed off on Tuesday.
The Department for Transport has allocated more than £11.6m across the South East.
Rain, sleet and snow's been falling across the Thames Valley - with a warning of icy conditions tonight.
Recently Played Tracks
To listen live, choose your preferred location:
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.