Matt's Mini Victoria Sponges
We want everyone in the kitchen doing their bit to raise money for Have a Heart, so we can help grant more magical wishes to seriously ill children.
Why not try Matt's Mini Victoria Sponges. Have a go at baking them into tasty little treats to raise money by hosting your own 'Bake a Wish' cake sale.
- 450g/1lb strawberries, chopped
- 300g/10½oz jam sugar
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 4 free-range eggs
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 225g/8oz butter
- vanilla extract
- 250g/9oz icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 65g/2¼oz butter
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5. Line two Swiss roll tins with greaseproof paper.
- For the jam, place the strawberries and sugar in a heavy-based saucepan, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- For the sponge, beat all of the ingredients in a bowl until light and fluffy. Spread the mixture out into a Swiss roll tin, flatten with a palette knife and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden-brown and cooked through.
- Carefully turn the sponge cake out onto a wire rack, peel off the paper and set aside to cool.
- For the buttercream, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add the butter and milk and beat until smooth. Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a small star nozzle.
- Cut 24 x 5cm/2in circles from the sponges, then cut each circle into two sandwich halves. Spread twelve halves with the strawberry jam and pipe on a little buttercream. Sandwich together with the remaining sponge circles. Dust icing sugar over the top of each sandwich.
Finally don't forget to taste test one to make sure their yummy and tweet us a photo too #bakeawish
Recently Played Tracks
To listen live, choose your preferred station:
Now playing: Non-stop hit music