Complete ban on shops and supermarkets selling fireworks after their mum is killed in 2009.
Don't Mess With Fireworks in Devon
It's the start of Bonfire week with hundreds of firework displays being held across Devon.
But already Accident & Emergency departments in the region are already reporting cases of burns caused by sparklers or fireworks.
The heat generated from 3 sparklers lit at the same time is the same as lighting a welders blow torch.
Around 1000 people a year around the UK seek medical advice for burns or fireworks exploding in their faces.
Mr Chris Manlow is an Emergency Department Consultant, he gave us advice about staying clear of danger and what to do if an accident with a firework or sparkler happens.
Sparklers are fun, but always:
- · supervise children with sparklers and never give them to a child under five
- · light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- · put used sparklers hot end down into a bucket of sand or water
keep fireworks in a closed metal box and take them out one at a time
- · follow the manufacturer’s instructions on each firework. Read them by torchlight – NEVER a naked flame
- · light fireworks at arm’s length using a safety firework lighter or fuse wick.
- · stand back after lighting
- · NEVER go back to a firework once lit – it may go off in your face
Enjoy bonfire night together at an organised display
New song to appeal to children to take more care.
Following the death of a 10 year old boy after he was misdiagnosed by paramedics, South Western Ambulance Service have made training videos with his parents to stop it happening again.
£5,000 worth of damaged caused in just 5 seconds.
Devon and Cornwall Police launch new anti-hate crime campaign
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Get great deals and money off vouchers, plus find out more about who's advertising on Heart.