Burglary Prevention Advice
13 October 2012, 06:00
With the darker days setting in and the clocks due to go back in a couple of weeks, Hertfordshire Police are holding a series of roadshows today (13th) to give advice on how to protect your home from burglars.
Detective Chief Inspector Tannis Perks said "Hertfordshire Constabulary is committed to reducing burglary through effective crime prevention and by bringing to justice those responsible. Levels of burglary have been driven down in recent years and our aim is to build on this success.
"In the autumn and winter months levels of burglary tend to be higher than during the summer months. This could be because earlier nightfall means it is more obvious to burglars thatno one is at home and that is when they tend to operate. We want to help residents to protect their properties awith simple crime prevention methods.
"Many of the suggestions are simple and quick; for example, give your home a lived-in look by installing timer switches to lamps and walays remember to lock PVCu doors by turning the key as well as lifting the handle. Close all your windows when you go out and make sure tools are secured in sheds and garages to avoid them being used by burglars to gain entry to homes. Use strong locks on sheds and garages to protect your garden equipment, bikes and other valuables.
"There is further advice and a home security self assessment survey at www.hertspolice.uk under the heading of 'Crime Prevention'
For more advice on home security, property marking and general crime prevention you can attend one of the roadshows at the following locations:
- Jackson Square, Bishop's Stortford, CM23 3XH from 9am
- Bishop’s Stortford FC, Woodside Park, Dunmow Rd, CM23 5RG from 1.30pm
- Market Place, Hitchin, from 11am
- Waltham Cross town centre, from 11am
- Outside Wilkinson’s, The Maltings, St Albans, AL1 3HL from 9am
- Asda, Town Centre, Hatfield, AL10 0JP from 10am to 4pm
- Tesco, Oldings Corner, Hatfield, AL9 5JY from 10amto 4pm
- Stevenage Town Square, Stevenage, SG11BP from 10am
- Tesco, Shenley Road, Borehamwood, WD6 1JG from 10am
- Tesco, Harefield Road, Rickmansworth, WD3 1LX from 11am
- Watford General Hospital cafe, Vicarage Road, Watford, WD18 0HB from 11am to 4pm
- Hemel Hempstead town centre, outside Past Times , from 11am
Safer Neighbourhood Teams will also be visting selected areas to carry out home visits and deliver information packs personally to residents.