Adam Mudd Was 16 When He Began His Cyber Attacks
Don't Get Ripped off with the Olympics
New advice is being given out to make sure it is the criminals who miss out when tickets for the Olympic Games go on sale on Tuesday, March 15.
The rise in the use of the internet to purchase tickets and accommodation packages online, coupled with the huge expected demand, gives criminals new opportunities to sell non-existent tickets and steal personal and credit card details to use in other crimes.
Over eight million tickets will be made available for the Olympic Games and a further two million for the Paralympics. By taking some simple steps anyone buying a ticket can keep help prevent themsevles becoming a victim.
Paul Doran, Detective Inspector for Crime Reduction for the Force said: "The 2012 Games will be one of the biggest sporting events this country has ever hosted, with over 10 million tickets available for events right across the country. It’s going to be a really exciting time, especially in Hertfordshire, with the Canoe Slalom competition being held at the Lea Valley White Water Centre in Broxbourne and we know residents are looking forward to seeing these once in a lifetime events. Criminals will be looking for ways to con and steal, either through selling fake tickets or setting up professional looking sites which may look honest, but could leave you a victim. There is some easy-to-follow advice which will help keep you safe and ensure you can enjoy the Games next year.”
If you’re buying a ticket for the Games:
- The London 2012 ticket application process opens on the 15 March and you have until 26 April to apply for tickets through LOCOG as tickets are not allocated on a first come first served basis.
- The only way to apply for a ticket in the UK is at www.tickets.london2012.com. This is London 2012’s official site. You can also get a postal application from any Lloyds TSB branch, or from any public library in Northern Ireland. Don’t buy a ticket from an unauthorised website or tout. You risk being scammed, and not getting the ticket you wanted and paid for.
- If you get a ticket for an event you can’t attend, you can return your ticket to get a refund through the London 2012 official ticket exchange. Your ticket will then be officially resold. Details of this will be announced in due course.
- There are only three official providers for Games Breaks and Hospitality packages in the UK
|Thomas Cook||Prestige Travel||Jet Set Travel|
- Other websites or companies will not be authorised to sell you a ticket as part of a package in the UK. Always check the terms and conditions to see exactly what you are being sold;
- Outside of the UK London 2012 tickets are sold through the country’s National Olympic Committee, or their authorised retailer.
- If you find tickets for sale before the 15th March 2011 or available from any unauthorised source at anytime, don’t buy them. They are not genuine. Report it to your local police, or London 2012 via firstname.lastname@example.org
Pair took purses from shoppers in Watford, St Albans and Harpenden.
Men are less likely to talk than women with 54% of women having had a conversation compared to 37% of men.
Images published after burglaries at two schools
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: Non-stop hit music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart Watford & Hemel Hemstead.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.