Man Dies In Walsall Cigarette Fire

An elderly man has died following a house fire in Walsall started by a cigarette.

Emergency services were alerted yesterday evening (03/08/2014) to the fire at a property in Brackendale Drive on the Yew Tree Estate when a care line alarm went off.

Crews forced entry to the property and found a 63 year old man who had mobility issues - he was pronounced dead at the scene.

A spokesman for West Midlands fire service told Heart: "Two fire appliances attended a fatal fire at 18.35 hours yesterday at Brackendale Drive in Walsall.

"A 63 year old man was confirmed dead.

"The cause of the fire was confirmed as accidental and due to the careless disposal of smoking materials."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: "Crews arrived to find a property that had suffered a significant fire.

"Unfortunately, nothing could be done to save a man found in the property by the fire service, and sadly he was confirmed dead at the scene."

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Jenni Falconer

6am - 9am

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Jenni Falconer

On TV: Heart Xmas Is Here!

4am - 10am

Watch heart TV

  • Shakin' Stevens Merry Christmas Everyone

    Now

    iTunes

  • Robbie Williams Dream A Little Dream

    06:14

  • Chris Rea Driving Home For Christmas

    06:11

    iTunes

  • Coldplay Christmas Lights

    06:07

    iTunes

Heart VIP

Local

Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Follow Heart on Twitter