Schoolboy Dies In Birmingham After Playing Choking Game

It's feared a 12-year-old boy who died in Birmingham passed out playing a choking game on social media.

Paramedics were called to Castle Vale over half term but couldn't save Karnel Haughton who died on Thursday.

His school friends at Greenwood Academy are being offered special support as they go back to school after the holidays and hear about what happened.

The school have released a statement to Heart:

Karnel Haughton school statement

West Midlands Police told Heart: "Police were called by the ambulance service to an address just off Farnborough Road in Castle Vale at around 9.45pm on Wednesday 1 June following reports that a child had collapsed.

"The 12-year-old was taken to hospital but despite their best efforts the boy died later that day.

"The death is being treated as unexplained and has been referred to the coroner."

Recently Played Tracks

On Radio: Club Classics with Roberto

9pm - 1am

Email the show

Text 'HEART' to 82122

Club Classics with Roberto

On TV: Have To Love Them! 60 Guilty...

8pm - 12am

Watch heart TV

  • Shaggy It Wasn't Me



  • Lionel Richie Dancing On The Ceiling



  • N*sync Bye Bye Bye


  • Diana Ross Upside Down



Heart VIP


Autumn Weather

Find your local four day weather report here.

Listening To Radio Win With Heart

Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.

Follow Heart on Twitter