Two teenagers have been arrested after it's suspected they plotted to rob a taxi driver by luring him to a bogus midnight pick-up in Birmingham.
TRAVEL: Birmingham Half Marathon
Birmingham is hosting another half marathon in the city
Competitors from across the UK and around the world will be taking part in the 13.1 mile course with thousands of supporters expected to turn out for the event.
The course takes in some of the city's most iconic sights including the Bullring, the Cadbury World in Bournville and Edgbaston cricket ground.
The elite runners will start just after 10am, with waves of runners having a staggered start after that.
Birmingham City Centre has a number of train stations that are within walking distance of the start/finish areas, see details below.
Travelling to the event on the West Coast Mainline? Then take advantage of the exclusive Virgin Trains discount: For you, your friends and family... whether you're travelling to an event on your own or up to groups of nine, you can all get up to 50% off Virgin Trains Advance Fares. This exclusive discount on Virgin Trains is the cheapest, easiest and most comfortable way of getting you and your supporters to the start line. Click here to book now - www.virgintrains.co.uk/nova .
- Five Ways - Serviced by National Express Trains. 10 minutes walking time to finish line, and 25 minutes from the start area on Jennens Road.
- Birmingham New Street - Serviced by National Express & Virgin Trains. 10 minutes walking time to start line.
- Snow Hill - Serviced by National Express & Virgin Trains. 10 minutes walking time to start line.
- Moor Street (this is the closest station to the start line) - Serviced by National Express Trains. 5 minutes walking time to start line.
- Jewellery Quarter - Serviced by National Express Trains. 25 minutes walking time to start line. Please check Sunday train times at the following train services websites: thetrainline.com or nationalrail.co.uk.
Birmingham city centre is well-serviced by buses/coaches. Please note that due to the road closures for the event there are some local bus services that will be diverted, please go to nxbus.co.uk then on the main tool bar click information, then click on ‘temporary diversions’ to view these. For coach travel, please go to nationalexpress.com .
Coming to the event by car is still an option despite the road closures that will be in place. Organisers recommend using alternative methods of transport but if you do need to use your car here are a few points to help you:
- Plan your journey in advance of event day; check greatrun.org/birmingham for the road closures in place for the event and plan your route accordingly.
- Do not assume that you can use your normal routes into the City Centre, please DO NOT rely on SAT NAVs as these could take you along routes that are closed for the event.
- Give yourself plenty of travel time on event morning, there will be other runners coming into the City as well, the roads will get busy.
Parking is available within the City Centre. Click to see available car parking and access routes around road closures . On event day, car parks will work on a first come, first served basis and you park at your own cost.
27 year-old Chevaze McGregor pleaded guilty to killing the 2 year-old boy at an earlier hearing
The Chief Constable of West Midlands Police has warned forces across the UK are at breaking point because of funding cuts.
All of the more than 200 tower blocks in Birmingham are going to be fitted with sprinkler systems.
Recently Played Tracks
Now playing: The best feel good music
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.