Wiltshire: Flood Relief Fund
11 March 2014, 19:14
Residents and businesses affected by floods are being encouraged to find out what financial support is available to them through four government-funded schemes
The schemes are designed to give individuals and organisations support following disruption caused by the floods, and funding to help to protect their properties against flooding in the future.
Jonathon Seed, cabinet member responsible for flooding, said:
'We want to let as many people as possible know about these grants which could be vital at this difficult time.
'The last few months have had a devastating effect on many businesses and individuals, and it is important we do everything we can to help ease that.'
People can visit www.wiltshire.gov.uk/floodreliefsupport or call Wiltshire Council on 0300 456 0100 for more information and to find out how to claim.
The schemes are:
- Council Tax Relief – an initial three month relief could be available to householders (or families) where the property has been flooded
- Business Rate Relief – an initial three month relief could be available to businesses where the property has been flooded
- Business Support – this could see up to £2,500 awarded to help with the clear up costs for affected businesses
- Repair and Renewal Grant – this could mean a grant of up to £5,000 to carry out flood protection and prevention works (not available until April 1, 2014)
- Council Tax relief could be available to families which have had to leave their homes because of the flooding, or if significant parts of their homes are uninhabitable
- Business Rate relief could be available to businesses where the property has flooded. The Business Support Scheme could see grants of between £250 min and £2,500 to help businesses clear up after flood damage. This award is aimed at costs above insurance cover for things such as immediate clean-up costs, materials, exceptional business costs (such as hire of drying equipment) and temporary accommodation to enable these businesses to continue trading.
Claims will be based on an assessment by the Rural Grant Committee, which is made up of officers and councillors. The Repair and Renewal Grant is being finalised with government and is not available yet, however details will be available on Wiltshire Council's website from April 1, 2014.
People can also call 0300 456 0100 for details after this date or to register their interest.
Details of other government schemes, such as the Time to Pay Scheme which allows business affected to manage their tax payments, are available HERE: