Following the death of a 10 year old boy after he was misdiagnosed by paramedics, South Western Ambulance Service have made training videos with his parents to stop it happening again.
Wiltshire: Emergency DIY Calls May Rise
Wiltshire Fire and Rescue tell Heart they are expecting more calls this Easter, due to more people getting into trouble doing DIY.
Swindon Watch Manager Neil Chamberlain says:
"National statistics show that, at this time of year, there is an increase in fire calls caused by activities
associated with DIY.
"These range from fires ignited by blow torches involved in paint stripping to electrical appliances and other equipment that may have been stored in a damp garage or shed over the winter period."
"Always check that the task you are undertaking is within your capabilities.
"Take expert advice - many of the modern DIY superstores can advise on how best to use materials and equipment, and always make sure that safety instructions are read in full and complied with."
Wiltshire Fire and Rescue's other Top Tips for Springtime Safety around the home are:
- Check you have the correct tool for the job.
- Ensure children and pets are safe, with obstructions removed from your workplace.
- If you have to check or repair an electrical tool, turn it off at the mains. Don't be tempted to cut corners because you are some distance from the power switch.
- Always uncoil electrical extension cables fully, as these can overheat and cause a fire.
- Never use multi-way adapters when working with high amperage tools.
- Gas appliances should only be repaired by an approved contractor
- Flammable liquids should be used in accordance with manufacturer's instructions, secured in containers and used in small quantities, well away from the house and other risks such as naked flames or cigarettes.
- Ventilate when using adhesives and flammable liquids by opening windows and doors, and always ensure that no naked flames or power tools are close by.
- If you spill a substance on your clothing or overalls, remove them and clean them thoroughly.
- If you use petrol driven machinery (such as a generator), which emits exhaust fumes, make sure you have adequate ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
- If indoors or in an enclosed space, have a CO alarm nearby, as this will warn of rising levels of carbon monoxide.
An independent review's found parents were let down by Bristol Children's Hospital's cardiac services.
Drop-in sessions ahead of major work starting the summer
Police say they are a step nearer to finding her killer
Recently Played Tracks
Deposit £10 to get a £40 Welcome Bonus - That's £50 to play bingo, slots and more!*
Over 50 tracks to make you feel-good. New album out now...
Find your local four day weather report here.
What's happening on the roads where you are?
Make Heart the soundtrack to your day and you could be a winner with great prizes up for grabs throughout the day.
Find out more about some of the companies advertising on Heart.
Get some great ideas on how to advertise your business on radio, online and on mobile.