On Air Now
Heart's Feel Good Weekend with Lilah Parsons 10pm - 1am
21 February 2011, 14:09 | Updated: 7 March 2011, 15:14
Two people have been led to safety following a fire in a pub in Bedford.
Fire crews rescued one person by helping them down a ladder and led another to safety via internal stairs after fire broke out in a town centre pub in Bedford.
A 999 call at 18.12 on Saturday February 19th led to four fire engines, from Bedford and Kempston stations, the Operational Support Unit and the Aerial Platform converging on Midland Road outside the Paddington pub for several hours
Flats on the first and second floor above the pub were smoke logged.
A Fire Investigation determined the fire was started accidentally.
Officer in charge Station Commander Mark Hutchings praised the effective work of the crews in stopping the fire spreading further throughout the property and in saving the lives of those trapped: “It was a professional job, well done by our team. The fire was contained to two rooms but the smoke had spread - and it is most often the smoke that kills.”
BLFRS always advises people to fit and check a smoke alarm in their property. Advice on www.bedsfire.com