Man And Nephew Jailed For Bristol Nightclub Murder

17 July 2018, 18:11 | Updated: 17 July 2018, 18:13

Jamel Powell

A man and his nephew have been sentenced to life in prison for stabbing a man to death on the dance floor of a nightclub in Bristol.

37-year-old Jamel Powell, who was known to his friends as Jama, was stabbed 12 times in the attack at Blue Mountain in Stokes Croft. He died in hospital just hours later, during the early hours of 30th December 2017.
Following a trial at Bristol Crown Court, 56-year-old Errol Anderson from Bristol and Ian Power, who is 40 and from Gloucester, were found guilty of his murder. Anderson was told he will spend at least 21 years behind bars, while Power got a minimum of 27 years.
The court heard they had planned to murder Jama that night and Power had travelled to Stokes Croft from his home in Gloucester to meet up with Anderson that night. Power then went back to Gloucester before handing himself in to police admitting he had been involved in fight, while Anderson was arrested in Bristol later the same day.
The jury also found that a friend of the pair was guilty of helping them to cover up their crime. 42-year-old Juliette Campbell from Bristol stopped people from leaving the club, which allowed Power and Anderson to get away. She also persuaded a woman not to call 999 and removed the two knives used in the stabbing from the scene. She lied to a police officer when spoken to outside the club too. She is due to be sentenced on Monday 23rd July.
Detective Chief Inspector James Riccio said: "The motive for this murder lies in a historic feud which Power could simply not let go of. Jama was out enjoying the festive period when he was brutally set upon by Power and his uncle in a frenzied knife attack. I’d like to pay tribute to the hard work and determination shown by all the officers and staff involved in the investigation who put together all the pieces of the jigsaw needed to prove conclusively to the jury that Power and Anderson were responsible. The incident happened in a very public place in front of a significant number of people and I’d also like to thank the brave witnesses who gave evidence in this trial for their crucial input. My thoughts are with Jama’s family and close friends who’ve had to come to terms with the life-changing impact of this appalling crime. I hope these successful convictions."