Bristol: Man Sentenced After 3 yr Old's Death

2 April 2015, 12:15 | Updated: 2 April 2015, 12:34

Freddie Hussey

A man from Bristol has been sentenced for causing death by careless driving after a collision which killed a three-year-old boy.

38 year old Tony Davies, from Hallen, was driving a Land Land Rover and trailer along Parson Street in Bedminster, Bristol at around 10.15am on 27 January 2014.

The trailer he was towing came loose, mounted a kerb, struck a wall and then hits three-year-old Freddie Hussey, who was walking along the pavement behind his mother Donna.

Freddie suffered severe head injuries and was taken to the Bristol Royal Infirmary but sadly died.

An investigation found the trailer had not been attached correctly but it had been fitted with a breakaway cable.

Mr Davies, was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court earlier today (2/4). He was ordered to complete 200 hours of community service and was disqualified from driving for six months.

PC Richard Hignett said: "This is a very tragic case in which a three-year-old boy lost his life after being struck by a trailer as he walked along the pavement with his mother. All our thoughts are very much with Freddie's family who've been utterly devastated by his death. I hope this case acts as a reminder to all motorists to ensure the safety of their vehicles and any vehicles they are towing before they set off.

"If you're towing a trailer you should always ensure it's correctly hitched with a breakaway cable."

Freddie's family have released a statement following today's sentencing hearing: "It's very difficult to put into words how we feel about losing our beloved youngest son Freddie. Freddie was just three-years-old when he was tragically taken from us. He and his mum Donna were walking home, having just dropped his older brother off at primary school. They should've been able to walk safely along the pavement.

"Our son has been taken away from us, and we will never have the opportunity to see Freddie grow and have his own life. We've been left to pick up the pieces. Our family life has been shattered and we now have to try and continue with our lives knowing this tragedy could have been prevented. No sentence will ever reflect the enormous loss and devastation we as a family have suffered. We have to find a way to live with this, but we're relieved the court process is now over.

"We're grateful to all the emergency services who helped us on the day, to the staff at Bristol Children's Hospital for their excellent care and to the continuing support we've received from our family, including our extended family at Broad Plain Rugby Club, as well as our friends.

"We would also like to extend our thanks to the Investigating Team and to our Family Liaison Officer for their guidance throughout."