Kings Hedges Attack: Victim Dies, Man Arrested

14 June 2015, 12:06 | Updated: 14 June 2015, 12:21

Detectives investigating the death of a man in Campkin Road, Cambridge, last weekend have arrested a man on suspicion of murder.

A 36 year-old man from County Galway was arrested at Holyhead Port, Anglesey, yesterday (Saturday 13th) and remains in custody at Parkside Police Station in Cambridge.

Jeff Henry (pictured), 39, from Cambridge, was taken to Addenbrooke's Hospital after the attack which happened at about 12.45am on Sunday last week (7th of June).

He remained in a critical condition with a fractured skull and traumatic brain injuries until his death on Friday morning (June 12) when the decision was made to turn off his life-support machine.

Jeff was seen running away from two men along Campkin Road in the direction of Arbury Road just moments before the attack. Detectives believe he was subject to two assaults that night, one at about 12.45am and another about 25 minutes before.

Brutal attack

Detective Inspector Alan Page said:

"At 39 years-old Jeff was a relatively young man with plenty of his life left to live and enjoy. This was a brutal attack and I believe members of the local community may be able to assist us with our investigation into what happened that night.

I would urge anyone with information to come forward, no matter how minor or irrelevant you think the information may be.

If you knew Jeff and had contact with him in the 24 hours prior to his death and have not yet spoken to police I would urge you to make contact."

Officers believe Jeff may have visited Strawberry Fair on Saturday, June 6, and was in the Arbury area from around 11.30pm that day.

Earlier in the evening Jeff was seen walking with his purple push bike which had a black metal basket and a gel seat, this has not been traced following the attack, along with his glasses and phone which are also missing.

Anyone with information should call the major crime unit on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.