Fire In St Erth "Could Burn For Days"

10 August 2016, 16:59 | Updated: 11 August 2016, 09:48

A fire at a tyre recycling plant in St Earth continues to burn.

UPDATE 11/08/16

The incident has been scaled down significantly at this time, three appliances remain on scene they are from Mevagissey, Falmouth and Tolvaddon as well as the high volume pump from Newquay, an aerial ladder platform from Newquay, command support from St. Just and the welfare vehicle from St. Dennis, the situation is being constantly monitored.

Two JCB diggers have returned to the scene to carry on with excavation of the site under supervision of Fire & Rescue personnel. 

Crews from Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service are continuing to tackle the blaze near St Earth station.

Fire crews from across Cornwall are continuing to damp down the fire which is deep seated and is likely to take some days to fully extinguish. There are currently 53 firefighters, seven fire engines and seven special appliances on the site. 

Representatives from Devon and Cornwall Police, British Transport Police, Western Power, Network Rail, the Environment Agency, CORMAC, the Council’s Public Protection and Waste Management teams, South West Ambulance Service, and Highways England with support from the Council’s Emergency Management service and Public Health England, are still monitoring the situation closely and are working together to deal with any issues. 

Trains are now running from Penzance at a reduced speed past the site, with their windows closed and air conditioning turned off. Both the Station at St Erth and the St Ives branch line are currently closed. 

There is still a plume of smoke coming from the site and members of the public are being advised to take precautions if they live or work in the area affected by the smoke. This includes sheltering from the smoke by going indoors, closing doors and windows and, if driving through the smoke, to close windows and vents and turn off air conditioning units. 

If your symptoms persist, or are severe, seek medical advice by calling NHS 111 or by contacting your General Practitioner (GP). If a medical consultant is already treating your existing health condition, discuss your concerns and symptoms with them. In the case of an emergency call 999.