Mum 'In Disbelief' After Newquay Sea Tragedy

Mckayla Bruynius and father Rudy Bruynius who died

A mum says she is 'in disbelief' after her 2 year old girl and husband have died after being swept into the sea off Newquay.

2 year old Mckayla Bruynius, who was in hospital in Bristol after she was swept into the sea off Newquay, has died. 

Mckayla and her dad Rudy Bruynius were washed into the sea by a large wave last Friday, along with mum Lisinda. 

Mckayla was rescued from the sea by an RNLI lifeboat before being flown to Derriford Hospital. She was later transferred to Bristol Children’s Hospital, but she died on Tuesday night.

Rudy and Lisinda were rescued from the water by RNLI lifeguards. Lifeguards carried out CPR on Rudy before he was flown by the air ambulance to Treliske Hospital. He died in hospital on Friday evening.

The family’s two sons managed to stay on the rocks and were found by the Coastguard. The family, who are from Surrey, were on holiday when it happened.

Mckayla’s mother and Rudy's wife Lisinda Bruynius, has said:

"Rudy was a loving, caring and supportive husband, father and friend. He had a great sense of humour and was an active person. He always put other people first. Mckayla was a busy bee and always happy.

"I am in disbelief at what has happened. I am so shocked at how quickly the sea condition changed on that day whilst we were enjoying a family time together in Cornwall. I pray that others can learn from our tragedy as I do not wish for anybody to go through our grief.

"I would like to thank the RNLI, the staff at Royal Cornwall Hospital, the staff from Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, the emergency services and all the members of public for their generous support and prayers they have given towards my family.

"I would especially like to thank the people of Cornwall for their messages of love and offers of help. I will never forget the close community spirit displayed towards us. Please respect our privacy at this really difficult time and allow my sons and I to try to come to terms with what has happened."

Detective Constable Jarrod Yewen, from Newquay CID, said: "This is a tragic case for all those involved and our thoughts remain with the family at what is a deeply traumatic time for them. The deaths are not being investigated as suspicious therefore the police will now prepare a file for HM Coroner and an inquest will be held in due course."