Two Arrested In Connection With Surrey Shooting

25 July 2016, 16:40 | Updated: 25 July 2016, 16:43

One person has died and another is receiving treatment after being shot in the leg, now police say two people have been arrested.

A man's been shot dead and several others have been injured at a pool party in Headley in North Surrey.

Two people have now been arrested, one on suspicion of murder and the other of assisting an offender.

A 34 year old man was shot dead and a woman was shot in the leg. She is being treated in hospital but it's not believed to be life threatening.

The event was apparently 20-pounds-a-head and was advertised online.

Surrey Police Statement: 

Statement made by Detective Superintendent Bex Smith, 15:50pm

In the last half an hour Surrey Police have arrested two people - one on suspicion of murder and the other on suspicion of assisting an offender - in connection with the ongoing murder investigation in Headley.

The incident took place at 2:30am today (Monday, 25 July) when officers were called to a private property in Church Lane following reports of a disturbance at a party being held at the address.

Officers attended and found the body of a 34-year-old man who had suffered a gunshot wound. A 36-year-old woman is also receiving medical treatment after being shot in the leg but her injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

This was a shocking turn of events at what had been billed as a private pool party and would have witnessed by a number of people.

Our investigation is continuing and if you were at this event or have any information or footage of what happened and have not yet spoken to police I urge you to come forward and talk to us or call Crimestoppers anonymously.

We are particularly keen to speak to anyone who saw a white and black Mini which left the scene following the incident.

At this stage we believe the weapon used in the shooting was a handgun which has not yet been recovered.

There continues to be a significant police presence in the local area but I would reassure the local community we not believe there us any ongoing risk to Headley residents. A police cordon is in place and the road is expected to remain closed for several hours whilst work at the scene is carried out.

At this time our thoughts are very much with the family and friends of the man who died.

We remain in the early stages of a fast-moving investigation and we will keep you updated of any further significant developments.