On Air Now
Early Breakfast with James Stewart 4am - 6am
24 May 2010, 15:14
A man has appeared in court after being charged with the murder of Bournemouth mum Heather Barnett eight years ago.
The 48-year-old mum of two was found dead in the bathroom of her home in Charminster by her children when they got back from school in November 2002. A cut of someone else's hair had been placed in her hand.
On Thursday evening, Dorset police and the Crown Prosecution Service charged Danilo Restivo with her murder. He appeared before Winchester Crown Court on Monday morning, where a judge told him he will have to appear again on Thursday for a bail hearing.
The 38 year old Italian who now lives in Bournemouth was arrested on Wednesday 19th May at a house on Chatsworth Road in Charminster. The property was later forensically examined.
Detective Superintendent Mark Cooper said on Thursday evening:
"The progression of the investigation to this point today demonstrates the professionalism, commitment and tireless work of those Dorset Police staff and officers involved in Heather’s case.
"We have been in close contact with members of Heather’s family throughout the course of this investigation, including speaking with them this morning to make them aware of the charges brought against Restivo. The family has shown extraordinary strength and courage over the seven years since Heather’s death and our thoughts are still very much with them."