Dorset Couple Escape Major House Fire

A husband and wife have escaped a major house fire at their home in Dorset this morning.

Dorset Fire and Rescue say a woman called them just after midnight on Wednesday 11th April to say she and her partner were trapped on the first floor of the property in Bournemouth road in Charlton Marshall.

Before fire crews could arrive, the couple managed to escape through an upstairs window,jumping into their garden.

They've now been taken to hospital for treatment on minor injuries.

A spokesperson from the fire service said:

 ''The aerial platform was used in this incident and it took six fire engines and 45 firefighters more than 3 hours to bring the fire under control. The flames were at least 30 - 40 feet high at one point so it was impossible to go inside. Three appliances will stay at the property until further notice.''

It took over 3 hours to bring it under control

Meanwhile Dorset Police had to close the A350 near Blandford because of the fire. They're expecting to re-open it later on in the morning.
The electricity board, building control and water board were also on scene to assist with the incident and some properties in the village were left without electricity when the electricity to the property was turned off. 

Police don't think the cause is suspicious

Incident Commander, Louis Minchella said: 

"We know that they did have smoke alarms but they were not working or tested, which is like having a useless bit of plastic tacked to your ceiling. If they had had them working, they would have had a much earlier warning signal and would not have lost their home and contents, and had to suffer what has happened. Although we are of course pleased that they made it out alive - it was a very close call."

The cause will be investigated as and when it is safe to enter the house but this may not be for some time. It is not thought to be suspicious.