Football Fan Stabbed

2 April 2013, 07:11 | Updated: 3 April 2013, 12:57

A football fan's been stabbed and another is injured after their coach was attacked on their way home from a match in Luton.

The two men were among five bus-loads of supporters who had travelled to support Kidderminster Harriers in their non-league away fixture against Luton Town FC on Bank Holiday Monday 1 April 2013.

Bedfordshire Police said that as the coaches queued in traffic on the Dunstable Road, about a mile from the Kenilworth Road ground, an argument broke out between "local residents'' and the Kidderminster supporters in the rear coach.

It happened after the game ended as the vehicles were leaving Luton on the return journey, police said.

"It led to the coach being attacked,'' said a police spokesman.

"Then some of the supporters got off to remonstrate and a fight ensued.

"Two Kidderminster fans are being treated in hospital for non life-threatening injuries, although one was stabbed twice.''

Four local men were arrested and have been released on bail by police investigating the violence which broke out in Dunstable Street near the Mansfield Road junction.

Police said the attackers did not appear to have any connection to Luton Town.

Kidderminster won the Conference Premier fixture 2-1, leaving them top of the table.

Steve Millington, chairman of the Kidderminster Harriers Independent Supporters Trust, said: "We deplore the attack on the coach.

"This shouldn't happen in football or in society in general.

"We're pleased to hear the injuries to the lad who was stabbed are not thought to be life-threatening and wish both those who were taken to hospital a speedy recovery.''

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service confirmed it had taken two men to hospital.

"We conveyed two people, one a 38-year-old man, to the Luton and Dunstable Hospital,'' they said.

Police said those arrested were three men aged 19, 21 and 40 and a juvenile aged 16, who were all detained on suspicion of affray and assault. All four men have now been released on bail.

The injured men were a 38-year-old, who suffered two cuts to his chest and remained in hospital overnight for observation, and a 39-year-old, who suffered a cut to his head and was released after treatment.

The officer in charge of the investigation, Detective Sergeant Martin Eaton, is keen to speak with anyone who was in the area to help piece together what sparked the incident.

He said: "Clearly we have four people in custody in connection with this investigation and officers will be speaking to them during the course of the day.

"However, this is still an ongoing investigation and we will be visiting the area this morning and speaking with local residents to ensure they are fully informed about the police investigation and seeking potential witnesses who may have information that can help detectives piece together exactly what happened.''