On Air Now
Heart Breakfast with JK and Kelly Brook 6:30am - 10am
23 February 2012, 14:55 | Updated: 23 February 2012, 14:58
The grieving Hertfordshire parents of two toddlers who died after becoming entangled in blind cords are launching a safety campaign to warn other families.
The campaign, organised by the Hertfordshire Safeguarding Children Board is aiming to raise awareness of the dangers of looped blind cords and chains after two year olds Arthur Winfield, from Markyate and Emily Warner, from Royston, died following similar accidents over the past few months.
Arthur's accident happened on January 5th, when he was in his bedroom and he died five days later at Great Ormond Street Hospital.
An inquest into his death has not yet taken place.
His father Oli said: "You always think your homes is going to be a safe place, especially for your children. We are totally devastated at the loss of our precious boy and urge people to take heed of the safety messages being made available through this campaign."
Today an inquest it has ruled Emily Warner's death was accidental. She was left severely brain damaged after an accident last August and then died in December.
Emily's father, Jamie said: 'We don't want other families to suffer in the way we have. By taking some simple steps with your blinds you can protect your children. Our family has been broken,Emmie was the light of out lives, such a wonderful little girl.'
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said that there have been at least 18 deaths similar to these in the UK, since 1999.
Hertfordshire Saefuguarding Children Board Chair Phil Picton said: 'We must do everything in our power to reduce the risk of these terrible tragedies being repeated. It doesn't take much time to ensure that your blind cords and chains are safe. Simply making sure that blind cords are tied up out of reach, even if your child climbs up to try to reach it, could prevent them from being seriously hurt or killed.'
Special Make it Safe packs are available on request from RoSPA.