3 Men Jailed For Life For Dean Stansby's Murder

31 July 2018, 13:57 | Updated: 31 July 2018, 14:00

Dean Stansby Murder

Three of the men found guilty of murdering a 41-year-old man in Ipswich at the beginning of last year have been sentenced to life imprisonment, with the fourth person responsible told he faces the same fate.

Dean Stansby, from Trimley St Mary, was fatally stabbed in Ancaster Road on the evening of Wednesday 8 February 2017.

At Ipswich Crown Court today, Tuesday 31 July, three of the four men convicted of his murder were given life sentences, with minimum terms set as follows: 

-       Tecwyn Parker, aged 48, of Downside Close, Ipswich; 22 years

-       Daniel Kaganda, aged 24, of north London; 18 years

-       Jason Ruby, aged 45, of no fixed abode in Ipswich; 18 years

Amiadul Islam, aged 25, of Caistor Park Road in east London, will be formally sentenced at a later date which is yet to be fixed, but was told by the judge to also expect a life sentence. 

The four men had previously been found guilty of murder on Tuesday 24 July, following a 14 week trial at the crown court. 

Dean Stansby was discovered by a member of the public at around 6.30pm on 8 February last year, collapsed on the ground in Ancaster Road near to the junction with Ranelagh Road. 

He was taken to Ipswich Hospital for treatment, but despite the best efforts of medical staff he was pronounced deceased around an hour later. A post-mortem examination concluded that the cause of death was a result of a stab wound to the abdomen.

A murder inquiry was launched by the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team and they immediately began to piece together Mr Stansby’s last movements on the day of his death. 

It transpired he had been driven into Ipswich by a relative and was dropped off outside Ipswich Railway Station at around 5.45pm. He then walked off along Ranelagh Road and was caught on CCTV from a passing bus entering Ancaster Road at 5.53pm – just over half an hour before he would be discovered near to that spot having suffered his fatal injury.

Through police analysis of his mobile phone, it was discovered that Mr Stansby had been in contact with a drug supply operation known as ‘AJ and Sky’ that afternoon and had come into Ipswich to purchase illegal drugs from one of their dealers.

Officers then began the exhaustive process of cross-referencing the mobile phone numbers he had been in contact with, and in turn what numbers those phones had been in contact with. 

Mr Stansby had called AJ and Sky’s ‘business’ number which they used to communicate with people that wanted to buy drugs from them. AJ and Sky would then use a ‘controlling’ number to contact one of their dealers in the area and direct them to make the exchange. Through mobile phone mast analysis, both these phones were traced to east London and the area around Amiadul Islam’s home address.

Tecwyn Parker, Daniel Kaganda and Jason Ruby were identified as being people associated with the AJ and Sky operation who were on Ancaster Road at the time of the attack. Mobile phone data, CCTV images and eye witnesses all placed them there.

Amiadul Islam was one of the organisers of the operation, pulling the strings from east London. Kaganda was a ‘drug runner’, but on the day of the attack was actually controlling the drugs that were given out to be sold and received the money from the sale of those drugs. Parker and Ruby were both drug users local to Ipswich and were hired to go out and do the actual on-street dealing.

On the day of Dean Stansby’s murder, Parker, Kaganda and Ruby were all present in the flat of Parker’s sister in Gippeswyk Road, which is off Ancaster Road. Kaganda had travelled up to Ipswich from London on Sunday 5 February.

When the call came in from Mr Stansby to make a purchase, Parker was sent out to sell him the drugs and is captured on CCTV walking along Gippeswyk Road towards Ancaster Road at 5.56pm. 

However, just three minutes later Parker returned to the flat without making the exchange, and Mr Stansby’s phone data supports this fact, as over the next 15 minutes or so he sends messages to the business number asking what was going on.

Whilst giving evidence during the trial, Tecwyn Parker stated that when he went out to sell the drugs he recognised Dean Stansby, who he thought might try and rob him, so he told Mr Stansby that he had forgotten the drugs and returned to the flat to inform the others.

Phone data analysis found that calls were then made between Kaganda and Ruby in Ipswich, to Amiadul Islam in London. Parker claimed that Kaganda was instructed to "teach Dean Stansby a lesson” as he had previously robbed the business.

Parker, Kaganda and Ruby then went out together, with CCTV from a passing bus capturing them in Ancaster Road at 6.22pm, with Dean Stansby standing near to the entrance to Gippeswyk Park. Mr Stansby was last seen on CCTV crossing Ancaster Road in their direction.

Mr Stansby received a single stab wound to the abdomen, but was able to make his way down Ancaster Road where he was found on the floor by passers-by close to the junction of Ranelagh Road. Dean sought the help of members of the public who telephoned for an ambulance and remained with him until paramedics arrived.

Ruby’s phone was found to have been in contact with Islam’s phone for a duration of just under four minutes between 6.21pm and 6.25pm, which covered the period Mr Stansby was attacked. The purpose of this call was to ensure the orders given from London were being carried-out.

During the extensive investigation that followed the murder of Dean Stansby, police also uncovered the defendants’ involvement a wider conspiracy to supply drugs into Ipswich by the AJ and Sky operation, dating back to November 2016.

Daniel Kaganda and Amiadul Islam admitted two counts of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs (heroin and cocaine) prior to the murder trial.

Kaganda was handed an eight-year prison sentence for this aspect, to run concurrently with the life sentence. Islam will be sentenced at a later date. 

Jason Ruby denied any involvement in the supply of Class A drugs at all, claiming he was just a user, but was found guilty of two counts of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs (heroin and cocaine) and sentenced to four years’ imprisonment, also to run concurrently with the murder sentence.

At the time of the murder trial Tecwyn Parker was already serving a four-year prison sentence for supplying heroin and cocaine in Ipswich, following his conviction for these offences in April 2017. 

A fifth man also appeared before Ipswich Crown Court today in respect of being involved in the drugs conspiracy.

Yusuf Ahmed, aged 26, of Tollgate Road, in east London, pleaded guilty to two counts of conspiracy to supply Class A drugs (heroin and cocaine). He will be sentenced at a later date. 

Detective Chief Inspector Caroline Millar, the Senior Investigating Officer, said: "This has been one of the most complex and lengthy investigations myself and all the officers involved have ever undertaken. This has included months of mobile phone and Automatic Number Plate Recognition analysis, and a painstaking review of CCTV footage, not just from fixed cameras but also passing vehicles, with much of it requiring enhancement. All of this technical evidence, overlaid with that of eye-witnesses, undeniably proved that all four defendants were working for AJ and Sky; that Parker, Kaganda and Ruby were together in Ancaster Road at the time of the attack; and that they were in phone contact with Islam in London. We know from Dean Stansby’s phone that he was in contact with AJ and Sky that afternoon and that there was a motive for him to be attacked. All four defendants conspired together to have him ‘taught a lesson’, which resulted in his fatal stabbing. This case highlights both the dangers of Class A drugs use and the complex world in which those involved operate. Dean was a man who had unfortunately become a user of those deadly substances and this in turn brought him into contact with the violent world of drug dealers. Suffolk Police will continue to combat the supply of drugs into our towns and the associated knife crime that often comes with it. We do not want more families to suffer the pain that Dean’s family have had to endure. The sentences handed down today reflect the seriousness of the crimes committed by these four individuals and I hope that their convictions for this senseless act of violence will send a clear message to those who seek to peddle drugs, carry knives and spread misery that you will be caught and made to face the consequences of your actions.”