Night-Stalker Rapist Is Jailed

20 April 2015, 15:43 | Updated: 20 April 2015, 15:52

A night-stalker rapist from Suffolk who attacked at least six women over nearly 30 years has been jailed for a minimum of 10 years and three months.


Clive Howard, 57, of Stowmarket, was described as a "dangerous predator" by Norfolk Police after he admitted seven counts of rape, three of kidnap and one of attempted rape at an earlier hearing.

The offences happened in Norfolk and Cambridge between 1986 and 2014.

Judge Stephen Holt described him as "every woman's living nightmare" as he sentenced him at Norwich Crown Court.

Detectives revealed that over the past month 15 women who fear they might have been attacked by Howard have come forward.

Judge Holt added: "This was a campaign of sexual offences over many years.

"Two of the victims describe you spanking them - this is additional humiliation and degradation.

"There was clearly a significant degree of planning and targeting.

"All of the victims' statements show a similar pattern of how terrified they were and the ongoing effect this has had.''

Mechanic Howard, of Bury Street, Stowmarket, sobbed uncontrollably as his final victim, Jessica Howard, now 23, read a powerful statement to the court.

In it, she described her struggles with anxiety, self-harm and an eating disorder since the attack in Norwich on May 30 last year.

Miss Howard, who is no relation, said: "Because of you, my body is now worthless to me.

"You took away my control and because of you my body is now an inanimate object with no worth.

"I wanted to throw up as I recounted what you did to me."

Other victims gave similar harrowing accounts, with one saying she attempted suicide.

Police eventually caught Howard after Miss Howard described his Volvo car to them and they found CCTV footage from earlier that night showing him circling Norwich searching for lone women.

Further investigations and DNA evidence revealed he had attacked two women on May 5 2013 and two on February 15 2014. These attacks all happened in Cambridge.

It later emerged that he raped one woman six times in Suffolk, beginning in 1986.

The victim of those offences described how he spoke of attempting to rape a stranger, although police have not been able to prove this claim.