Essex: New Rail Company Reveals Plans
13 December 2011, 16:18
Heart's been finding out what rail passengers in Essex can expect when Abellio starts operating here in February 2012.
The Dutch firm will take over from National Express East Anglia after winning the 29-month contract.
It is promising more reliable, safer, cleaner trains, punctual services and improvements at stations across the region.
Among the highlights:
- Trains will have a deep clean ahead of the Olympics
- 141 stations will get 'refreshed'
- A new cycle point at Chelmsford
- More parking - at least a further 600 across the region
- At least 20 stations will have points for electric cars
- An additional 92 carriages to help ease over-crowding
It is also looking at bringing in mobile ticketing and 'print at home' options - like you can do with plane tickets - to make it easier to buy train tickets.
The company will be responsible for around 3,000 staff and says numbers could be increased slightly to provided additional security on trains to make people feel safer and catch fare dodgers.